Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ethan's First Day of Kindergarten

I can't believe Ethan officially started kindergarten today at all day regular school. The bell rings at 7:30 AM, which means we have to be up no later than 6:15 to leave the house no later than 7:10 AM. Oh, what an adjustment we're trying to make to an earlier schedule! Last night went surprisingly well . . . second night is proving to be a little more challenging at getting everyone to bed early. Hopefully it will get easier . . . Anyway, the first day went great for Ethan. Or at least I think! He was extremely tired and overwhelmed. Which makes sense, since he was gone from 7:00 - 3:00! That's a long day for a 5 year old! The bell rings at 2:15, but by the time carpool line is over, and we get home, it's almost 3! Hopefully that will smooth out too as people get in more regular routines of dropping off and picking up. I walked Ethan in for his first day today, but tomorrow will try dropping him off in the carpool line. Please pray it goes well! It is such a big school - I think there are at least 8 kindergarten classes, and I heard today it is the biggest elementary school in the state (not sure if that is true), but I just pray he doesn't get lost walking in to his room. I know there will be teachers and adults there to help guide him, but it is still scary for me to let him walk in on his own in such a large place. I got a few details out of him today about his day, but he was mostly pretty tired. Maybe by the end of the week I'll know more. At least his teacher has her own website, so I can keep up with what they're doing during the day, etc. That helped ease my mind to know where he was during the day. You can check out his teacher's site at: http://teacherweb.com/SC/BoilingSpringsElementary/MrsHolden/





After sitting with him in his classroom for a few minutes until some more kids came and sat at his table, I told him I had to go onto work and asked him if he needed anything else before I went. He told me he just needed a hug and a kiss, so I gave him that, and went on my way! I had to fight back the tears as I drove away. But all in all, I think we BOTH did pretty well on his first day! :-)

3 comments :

  1. I can't believe Ethan's in kindergarten! After reading your post my eyes are welling up thinking about Madeleine going and she's only 2 1/2! Congrats on making it to this huge milestone and I hope he has a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a little tear or two, too! Jill, you are doing a wonderful job. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dreading next week when Lexi starts Kindergarten. I'll be fighting back the tears too!

    ReplyDelete