Friday, September 16, 2011

Teach Them To Your Children

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth." - Deuteronomy 11:18-21

I have been so frustrated lately with being a mom . . . I love my children, but I just haven't LIKED them very much.  I think all parents can relate, although they might not ever admit this.  The day in and day out of parenting can really wear you down.  I don't know how parents do it without the love and strength of Jesus behind them, guiding them through His Word in the way they should go.  I know I certainly depend on Him sometimes moment by moment in my parenting challenges and struggles.  I have to keep reminding myself that there is a reason I am teaching my children these things . . . not just to do right because they should and that is what is expected, but because that is what God commands us to do, so that our days, their days will by MANY.  I have to remember that these kids have been entrusted to ME for only a short time, shorter than I even realize now.  I can't give up on teaching them God's words and commands.  It is my main JOB to teach them how to fix these words in their hearts and minds, to talk about them when we sit at home and when we walk along the road, and when we lie down and when we get up . . . ALL THE TIME!  I also should WRITE them in our house to be seen by myself and my kids.  Our church is doing a church-wide study on the basics of being a Christian and walking with the Savior.  One way to do that is by memorizing verses in the Bible.  This is so much harder for me to do as an adult!  Other people who wrote the study must've known this fact, as they gave each person scriptures written out on cards and with a stand up placard to put them in front of us, where we would see them the most to remember them.  It is a discipline I learned as a child, but must relearn and reteach myself to do as an adult.

My prayer is that as I continue to fix God's words in my own heart and mind, that I will be the mother that my children need me to be, so that they can grow in their understanding and knowledge of Him.  I know I am so far from the perfect mother, although I strive to do my best, but I know God forgives me for the many times I mess up, the times I let my frustration with the circumstances get the best of me, the times I say something I shouldn't have said to my kids, the times I don't say something that I should've said, . . . the list goes on.

Thank you, Lord, that You have given me Your Word, the Bible, to teach and instruct me in the way I should go.


"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." - Psalm 32:8

No comments :

Post a Comment