Monday, March 5, 2012

Picture Non-Organization

I am making  a new goal for myself this year about pictures and blogging . . . not to be so organized!  I know that sounds funny to some, but I have always been super, super organized with pictures.  Before the digital age, I kept real picture albums and scrapbooks up to date.  (I still keep one big family scrapbook that I keep professional family photos in). 


I used to have time to glue in each picture and write captions. (When I just had 1 child).

 Now, I just slip the pictures into the clear sleeve and write the year on a little note sheet to stick in with it.  I write on the back of the pictures the year and kids' ages.  I have this dream that one day when my kids are grown, I will have time to go back and glue in the pictures and make it look all nice.


Since the digital age, I have a whole, complicated system for picture organization online.  I would normally edit my pictures in picasa software, then transport my favorite ones to share in albums on facebook by month, then blog about those favorite pictures on my blog, then back up my pictures online to shutterfly, then have them organized by month and event on my computer.  I would normally upload new pictures within a day of any big events and then start the whole process from start to finish.  This may not seem like it would take a long time, but it really did!  I realized I was taking too much time to do all of this every few days.  I was missing out on time with my family in those few moments I would take to do all of this, plus I was missing out on doing things I really wanted to do, like clean my house really good, and fun things like that!  :-)  So, at the beginning of this year, I decided I am going to try to not be so organized . . . well, maybe that's not the word.  I still want to be organized, but not as often.  So, I am allowing myself one or two days at the most each month to catch up on picture editing, blogging, and picture backup.  I'm not going to back them up in two places either.  So, I'm doing more of the "mobile upload" pictures to facebook that are just "in the moment", and on my day to blog and edit and back up pictures, I'll do it (like today!)  I'm curious for anyone who may be reading this, how do you organize your pictures, both digital and prints?
 

No comments :

Post a Comment