Friday, December 5, 2008

Sad News

Well, I have some sad news to report - my Grandpa passed away on Thanksgiving morning. We were in VA visiting my sister, Stacy, and her family when my Mom got the phone call from Ohio. He died peacefully in his chair, without suffering it sounds like. We all thought he was on his way to recovery after the surgery, but you just never know the Lord's plans. He was 1 month away from turning 91. So, our Thanksgiving plans were changed. We ended up traveling from VA to OH on Saturday morning, had calling hours on Sunday, funeral on Monday, and traveled home to SC on Monday afternoon/evening. We traveled a total of 28 hours in the car over a 6 day period. The boys did great, considering all the traveling!

I was very sad to lose my Grandpa, but had a good time remembering and celebrating his life. There are so many good memories I have of my Grandpa. I will share one . . . since we moved around so much growing up, we would usually only get to visit my Grandparents about 2 - 3 times a year. Every time we would leave from a visit, he would stand at the garage and wave with a few tears in his eyes, and say "See ya later!" I don't think he ever said "Good Bye" because he was always anticipating seeing us again. Well, at the funeral, I felt like he was saying, "See ya later!" because I know that this is not the final good bye. We will see each other again one day in Heaven.

Here is a picture I found of Ethan and Caleb getting to visit with my Grandpa Watson and Grandma Watson in May of 2007. What a special thing that my boys got to visit and know their Great Grandpa Watson. He will be greatly missed.

2 comments :

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, Jill. It definitely is "see ya later", though - I'm glad you guys had a good celebration of his life, but I will be thinking about your family and praying for you guys at this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for the loss of your Grandpa. I know that it's a sad time, but I love you for sharing the hope that you feel about knowing that you'll see him again. My thoughts are with your family!

    ReplyDelete