Monday, November 8, 2010

Caleb's Special Decision

Caleb made a special decision tonight before bed time . . . he asked Jesus into his heart!!!  Here is the story of what led up to it, from my memory. 

I was reading Ethan his bed time story, and during the course of the story, we got to talking about Heaven and Hell.  I assured Ethan that he was going to Heaven, not Hell, because of the decision he had made to ask Jesus in his heart previously, and we talked about that and he knew that was true.  Ethan then asked if Caleb had asked Jesus into his heart yet.  I told him that he hadn't yet that I knew of, but that Caleb was still young and still learning about Jesus.  Then Ethan got really concerned, and I could tell he was processing the fact that Caleb may not get to go to Heaven with our family because he hadn't made that decision.  But I told Ethan that since he knew what it meant to be a Christian, that he could also help teach his younger brother about what it means.  Ethan agreed that he thought it would be a good idea to teach Caleb about what he knew. 

So, when Caleb came in the room after reading his story with Scott, I just decided to ask Caleb about it.  I explained to him what it meant to ask Jesus in his heart, and that if he ever decided that he wanted to do so, just to let me or Daddy know and we would help him say a prayer to do so.  Ethan also shared with Caleb that he had asked Jesus into his heart when he was almost 5.  We then finished the conversation and started getting ready to leave the room to go to bed.  I could tell Caleb was thinking about it, but it was also late and time for bed, and we weren't pushing it.  Scott had come into the room by this time, and before we left the room, Caleb said, "I think I do want to go to Heaven."  We then said, "Would you like us to help you say a prayer to ask Jesus into your heart?" And Caleb said, "Yes."  Our whole family, Scott, Ethan, Caleb, and Myself gathered on our bed and sat down and held hands in a circle.  Scott led the prayer, and Caleb repeated the words of the prayer to ask Jesus into his heart.  When he was done, we gave him hugs and told him how happy we were that he had made the decision to accept Jesus! 

It's hard to describe exactly, but you could tell that Caleb felt different and happy after the prayer was over.  It is hard to explain, but God works even in a 4 year old's mind to help him see his need for Jesus in his life!  I am so thankful that our whole family could be a part of that special time with Caleb.  I know that there is still so much to learn and understand for Caleb, but he has made the important first step of acknowledging his need for Jesus in his life, and confessing with his mouth out loud that he believes in Jesus.  Praise the Lord for a new member of our family in the eternal kingdom of God!  We now pray for Caleb's continued understanding and growth in learning about Jesus, and when the time is right for him, for him to share his decision publicly.

After we went to the boys' bedroom, Caleb wanted to get out his Bible and read some of it.  He let me take a few pictures of him with his Bible and with his Daddy.  I love that new child of God smile on his face!  :-)   
 

1 comment :

  1. All praises to the Lord our God!

    Thanks so much for sharing this good news Jill//

    All our love,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete