Sunday, June 29, 2014

4 Days Down on Sugar Detox with Sweet Snacks & A Few DIY Home Makeover Projects Included!

I now have 4 days down on my 14 day sugar detox and I'm finally starting to feel more energy again.
 
(Click here if you missed my first post and second post about my sugar detox journey :-)
 
 I thought since I had started un-officially a week before that I wouldn't experience the drop in energy the first few days, but apparently I had more hidden sugars in my diet than I knew!  The first 3 days I had really, really, low energy.  I even went to bed on a Thursday and Friday night at 10:30 pm!  That is so early for me, and unusual.  I normally would've stayed up catching up on shows from the week, since Thursday and Friday nights are what I consider my weekend because I don't work on Fridays.  I also would've stayed up snacking on junk too while watching the shows.  I was too tired to even really want to snack . . . much.  However, I did get a pretty good craving for sweets on the second day in.  I found some things I was allowed to have on the detox that satisfied my sweet tooth and were pretty tasty.  
Here are some of the sweet snacks I tried:
Almond Butter Nut Crunch  (I made this one up)
1 tbsp almond butter, 1 tsp coconut oil, 1 tsp coconut sugar, & handful of almonds all mixed together - I ate this with a spoon! Yum!
Egg White "IceCream" (this was a recipe suggested by a member in my detox facebook group)

For this one, I mixed 2 egg whites, 1 tsp coconut sugar, 1 tsp almond butter, 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa - mix together and freeze for an hour, then eat!  The first pic is what it looked like when I took out of freezer, second pic is after I stirred it up.  It tasted pretty good, and it was nice to have a "frozen" treat.  I think I should've used more like 3-4 egg whites . . . will do that next time.
Almond Butter Chocolate Dip with Almond Thin Crackers
I ordered the Almond Thins online from Julian Bakery . . . They are INTERESTING - not as crunchy as a cracker, but more soft - probably wouldn't eat them without a dip or spread.  But if you're looking for something to eat to dip in something that is not a vegetable, than this may be a good option!


For the almond butter chocolate dip, I mixed 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 tsp coconut sugar, 1 tsp unsweetened coca powder & heated in microwave for about 30-35 seconds.  This was very good too!  I may have enjoyed it better just eaten with a spoon, haha!
Sweet Iced Chocolate Coffee
 I know this one doesn't look that great in the cup, but it did taste good!  (I since learned that if I mix all in a blender first, it mixes everything together better and tastes better).  I was enjoying my hot coffee with the mixture I talked about in my last post using the coconut oil, however I wanted a way to make iced coffee that I liked too and coconut oil freezes up into crystals if you get it cold without mixing it up good ( I learned this the hard way! :-)  
For this tasty sweet iced chocolate coffee I mixed coffee (4 oz) that was cooled in the refrigerator, almond milk (8 oz), 2 tsp coconut oil, 2 tsp coconut sugar, 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, blend in the blender, then pour over ice to drink.  Very good!  Another variation is to add 1 tbsp of almond butter if you want it a little thicker.  
So, you may see a theme here in these snacks - anything with coconuts and almonds are my friends!  :-)  These really did help me satisfy my sweet cravings over the past few days when they hit me.  
Since I was feeling so tired, I only really have done formal exercise the first day so far, some yoga, which I have been enjoying more and more!  I found the first upper left pic in a magazine and asked my kids if they thought I could do that pose, and they laughed for some reason! I guess the other pics depict more of my ability level in yoga so far.  Maybe some day!
The only other exercise I've done other than yoga is help Scott work on a couple home improvement DIY projects we're doing around our home this weekend.  We decided to put a different floor down in the kitchen (just putting new vinyl tile over the old vinyl flooring for now - what our budget could afford), and taking down wallpaper border, and will repaint . . . Then I also found a cool futon on craigslist for the boys' bedroom, so I rearranged that corner with the new futon.  I finally moved the old train table and boxes of trains out to make room.  I may eventually sell them all, but for now they're headed to my mom's house for storage.  Alaina has some wooden track and trains that she has in her closet to pull out and play with when she wants, but it doesn't take up the massive amount of space that all of our train stuff did.  It's kind of the passing of an era to get rid of the train table.  The boys are growing up on me.  :-(  So, helping with these projects has taken any extra energy I've had so far.  Here are a few pics of the projects.  I'll have to update again when we are all done with the kitchen update.





One more new thing I've tried while on this detox, besides sweet snacks, is spaghetti squash!  I liked it a lot!  I just poked holes in the spaghetti squash like a baked potato, put in the oven on 350 for 1 hour, then took out, cut in half, and scraped out the spaghetti.  Then I added all natural marinara sauce (with no sugar added) and beef for the sauce.


So far, so good!  I'm down about 6 lbs overall now.  I'm trying to focus more on how I feel and how my clothes fit (hopefully will get a little bigger) more than the scale during this detox time, but it is nice to know I'm making progress!  Thanks for reading!


post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment