Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Alaina's Birth and the Weeks Since

It has been 5 1/2 weeks since Alaina's birth, so I better try to recall her birth story before I forget!  We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am.  The first two hours seemed to fly by as the nurses got me prepped and ready for induction, got all of the necessary information, etc.  Then at 7:30 am they began the pitocin drip.  I started feeling some minor contractions.  Then at 8:30 am the doctor came in and broke my water.  I told him that in my two previous pregnancies, that after my water broke, I had the babies about 2 hours later.  He kind of laughed, and said that was very fast.  He asked if I wanted them to go ahead and order the epidural.  It seemed a bit early, but Scott encouraged me to go ahead, just in case the anesthesiologist was held up and it might take a while, so I agreed.  The anesthesiologist came in about 9:00 am and started the epidural process.  I was about 4 1/2 - 5 cm dilated at this time.  I got a bit light headed, as I could feel the needle going into my back, and I think it freaked me out.  So he had to stay a little bit and make sure all the levels of the medicine were right for me, and that I was okay.  I didn't pass out, which was good, and by about 9:45 am I felt okay, so he left.  I felt some relief from the contractions, and started to rest, settling in for what could be a long day of labor.  But then about 15 minutes later I started feeling what seemed like hard contractions again for me.  I was worried that maybe the epidural hadn't taken well or something.  I waited about 10 minutes, and it was apparent that these contractions were close and regular, and I was in pain!  I finally called the nurse back in, and when she checked me, I was fully dilated, and she said the head of the baby was right there and that they better get the room ready and the doctor in there.  What I was feeling wasn't contractions, but the pressure of the baby and the urge to push.  The doctor came in and all the nurses were getting the room ready for baby to arrive.  It was getting harder and harder for me to not push.  I was hoping they would hurry up.  Then at about 10:30, I started pushing, and I think maybe I pushed about 3 times, and at 10:34 am, our baby girl was born!  It was so fast, and I was glad!
 
I saw her for a moment, held her, and then they took her to the warming light to wipe her off and weigh her.  She was 6 lbs, 9 oz and 19 1/4 inches long.  We didn't have a name for her right away.  We had been going between two different names, and wanted to see her first before deciding.  Once we got her back and looked at her some more, we decided on Alaina Grace Brisken.  Alaina was my first choice of names, and Scott's second choice, but we compromised by him deciding on the spelling of her name.  Her middle name, Grace, was picked out by her brothers, before we even knew she was going to be a girl!
 (1 week old)

And since we've had Alaina, a TON has been going on.  The first day home, Caleb had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic he was on for an ear infection and Ethan got the flu, for which they were both home the rest of the week from school.  It was a very trying, challenging, and emotional time for me, but we made it!  Then 2 1/2 weeks after she was born, I got a very bad mastitis infection while breastfeeding.  I had a fever of 103 and was bedridden, felt like a truck had run over me and was worse than a stomach virus, which I always feel is one of the worst sicknesses to have.  Thankfully, after 24 hours on antibiotics, I felt a lot better, but it still took several days to recover completely.  Then we also had a 7th Birthday party sleepover for Ethan and his friends at our house, planned by Scott and I, but mainly led by Scott.  He did a great job leading games and activities all around the Lego Ninjago theme, which are Ethan's favorite toys at the moment.  His real birthday was Feb. 3rd, but with everything going on, we postponed the party until the end of February.  Even then, it seemed like a lot to me!  But such is the life now with having three kids, I suppose!  :-)


Now, Alaina is 5 1/2 weeks old, and I go back to work in only 1 1/2 weeks.  I can't believe how fast my maternity leave has gone.  I am still trying to get into a routine, and plan for what it will be like when I am back to work, but it seems impossible to really know what it will be like until I am just doing it.  I am so thankful for the help of my mom and mother in law, because I don't know how people have 3 kids and work without the help of family close by.  I love my job, but I wish I didn't have to work outside the home, and could do the full time mom thing.  Right now, it is not possible though for our family to live off one income, so I go on and do what I must do.

I am in the midst of planning how I will pump at work, and when Alaina will get bottles while I'm gone, etc. etc.  It is a lot to plan out, but one thing at a time.  I am proud of myself for keeping up with breastfeeding.  This is the longest I have ever been able to breastfeed with any of my kids, so I am hoping I will continue to be able to do so.  I think it finally has gotten easier on me, and may even become something I enjoy.  I don't know how long I will do it, and I'm not putting pressure on myself to continue it for any certain length of time, but I am just taking it one day at a time.  We will see how it goes when I go back to work, as it does save a lot of money on formula costs.
 (2 weeks, 6 days old)

All in all, Alaina is a great baby, and has fit right into our family easily.  She is gaining more and more personality every day, and just this week is starting to smile some in reaction to us.  Her brothers love her, and the excitement of her being here with us still has not worn off.  She is going to be one protected and loved little girl!  Life is much more busy though with 3 kids, and having a baby again is an adjustment for Scott and I.  I am looking forward to the time that she sleeps a longer stretch at night, although last night she did go 5 1/2 hours between her feedings.  Hoping this continues!
 (1 month old)

This post took me about 3 hours to complete from start to finish, between feedings, diaper changes, homework, dinner, etc. so who knows when I will be on here again for another update, but for now this is what we've been up to since Alaina's birth!  Until next time!!! :-)

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for sharing Jill! Your blog post was worth the wait : )
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete