Friday, November 8, 2013

Taking a breather . . .

So I started "thinking" about making this blog post and uploading and updating pictures a few weeks ago.  It takes so much time to blog the way I want to!  However, when I'm done making a post, I am always thankful I sat down and took the time to do so.  This is my online picture album/scrapbook for my family, my children, myself that I love looking back through at times.  So, I must keep updating:
We are taking a breather between soccer and basketball.  And I am so glad!  Glad to have 2 evenings back during the week from soccer practices and our Saturday mornings and afternoons back too.  I love that the boys love soccer, and truly enjoyed watching them this year.  They both grew in their skills so much this year!  



The first 9 weeks grading period of school finished up and the boys had their awards ceremonies in their classrooms.  In Ethan's class, Ethan helped present the student-led awards ceremony.  Ethan, in 4th grade, received the All A's and B's Honor Roll (got 1 B in "Gifted and Talented" and the rest A's), received the "Be Proactive" Leader in Me Award and a 100 Book Challenge Reading Award.  I am really proud of all of his hard work and how he's adjusted this year to being at the intermediate school (4th and 5th grade only at the school), with changing classes between 2 teachers (1 for Math/Science and 1 for Reading-Language-Social Studies) and this is his first year being in the Gifted and Talented program as well.  I am told by both of his main teachers that he is awesome and smart, and his GT teacher told me she has enjoyed having him this year in her class and that he has a great sense of humor.  :-)


Caleb, in the 2nd grade, has also done well this 1st grading period.  He received the All A's and B's Honor Roll, Marvelous Math Award for getting 100 on his Math Addition Fast Facts, and a 100 Book Challenge Reading Award.  I am proud that he tried his best too.  His teacher just sent home a note the other day that she was proud of him for taking his time with his handwriting on some social studies notes.  With the implementation of the new Common Core Curriculum in our state this year, I am noticing that the way certain concepts are being taught are different and with new methods.  There is a lot more explanation and writing involved, which can be a struggle sometimes for my boys.  We are working through it though, and trying to keep a positive attitude.  I am not an expert on Common Core, as I no longer work in education.  But I do believe the idea behind what they're trying to do with it is generally good.  However, it does seem like sometimes it tries to make what should be simple concepts to learn, more complicated and more difficult than they should be.  


We also had a fun Halloween.  The kids got to pick a design for each of their pumpkins to carve.  Ethan carved a lot on his own this year, Caleb helped some with his, and Alaina enjoyed the end result after Daddy was done with hers!


The boys were ninjas and my girl was a princess/dancer.  In the end, she only ended up wearing her dance leotard, skirt, and carrying a wand.  Up until Halloween, she had fun wearing her princess gloves I had gotten her, along with her pretty flower headband.  But she didn't want to add those accessories for actual Halloween.  :-(  Her mind is a hard one to change!  Ha ha!  But all the kids had fun trick-or-treating around our neighborhood with their friends. 



Ethan ran in a Boosterthon fun run at school to raise money for his school.  We sponsored him $1 a lap, and he ran 35!


Caleb (and Ethan too) have been enjoying playing football more and more outside around the house.  Caleb is convinced he wants to play tackle football next year with his friend, Casey, instead of soccer.  Mommy will have to think about that a little more.  I'm thinking flag football would be a good start instead.  :-)
And Lainey girl is still as spunky and opinionated as ever.  We're still "working on" potty training.  I guess I'm a lazy parent trainer by the 3rd child.  I'm comfortable to wait until she's really ready to go fully to regular underwear and use pull ups in the meantime.  Just don't have the desire to constantly clean up messes.  We'll see!  She is also still enjoying her ballet/tumbling dance class.  So fun having a little ballerina in the house!



And to end on a bit of a sad note . . . Our 12 year old beloved lab/springer spaniel, Sylvie, passed away.  She wasn't sick more than a day, didn't suffer, but died peacefully in her sleep.  As one of my first "babies" she will be missed by our family.
post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment