Monday, March 3, 2014

Any other exhausted moms?

I saw this post shared on FaceBook and it was definitely worth the read for me, this tired and exhausted Mom, so thought I would share it here on my blog too.
"Mommy Somebody Needs You"
Wow, crying . . . I was just in one of those times tonight with Alaina at bedtime that I was so frustrated with all of her stalling, and stubbornness and told her that I couldn't put her to bed anymore out of frustration. She cried and said, "But I need you, Mommy!" So, I read to her and sang to her and rocked her, because she did need me. Wow, I could've written this, as I'm sure many other mommies could've. Definitely worth the read and an encouragement!
I have so many thoughts I want to share that this blog post stirred up in me.  I guess one is how I can't ever seem to do everything I need and want to do, and always feel behind, and always feel exhausted no matter how much sleep I get (which still is never much, or enough).  But maybe that is just the thing I have to accept for this stage of my life with young children.  I know there will be a day when I am not needed so much, or in the same way, and I'm sure I will long for it again.  But when you're in the middle of these long, exhausting mom days, you can feel so suffocated, so down, so stripped of your energy and purpose.  It's so easy to lose "you".  
 
 
I am one of those really blessed wives who has a husband that is often needed just as much as mommy is, and he's able to be there, hands on, helping with the kids, daily.  I couldn't imagine how much more worn out I would feel if I didn't have Scott to share the parenting load, or give me the breaks away from the kids when I need it.  Like just tonight, I went on an hour walk!  An hour walk around the neighborhood in the sunshiney, beautiful Spring weather all by myself!  I even got to have a conversation with one of my best college girlfriends!  It was such a treat!  I went, didn't even have to tell my husband how long I'd be gone, he just let me go, and I knew the kids were in good hands, and he knew I needed the time to refresh and de-stress myself.
But then even after that much needed and refreshing walk, I still came back to all the "I need you's."  And then, like I said above, I "lost it" at bedtime tonight with Alaina.  So disappointed in myself!  Why couldn't I keep my cool, when I had been given the chance to refresh and should've been able to handle her, and all her 3 year old stubbornness, stalling antics, and fighting me every step of the way at bedtime.  But instead of patience and love, I yelled at her.  And then she cried and said those words, "But I need you Mommy!"  At that moment, then it's like I willed myself to rise to her neediness, and was able to calm down and continue on with patience to finish her bedtime routine. 
Thankful to be needed, and blessed to be needed.  
And thanks to Megan, another blog mom, whom I don't know from Your Best Nest for a post that really encouraged and spoke to this exhausted mom tonight.
post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment